New Synchronization Engine
It took us a while to rewrite the synchronization engine for SharedSafe and now we feel it is ready to use. With the latest release (0.8 beta), we enabled the new engine by default and revised a number of details we hope you are going to like.
So first, what does this new synchronization engine offer? Here are a the highlights:
- It is more responsive. Changed files are detected much faster and are uploaded earlier. The Explorer overlay icons reflect the current state of the files much more precisely.
- It is faster for small files. Small files which were stored in the same Email are downloaded at once.
- It supports uploads and downloads at the same time. While files are uploaded, it can download changes from other users simultaneously.
- It uses less CPU time to check for new files. The old engine had a design flaw which made the check for new files quite CPU intensive. The new engine should not take noticeable CPU time as long it is just checking for new files.
- It is able to handle a lot more files. Though we had no time yet to test and optimize the effective performance, the new engine is designed to handle a lot more files and changes.
The new engine supports all features of the old one except file rename and move detection. If you think you need these features, please send us feedback.
Up until now SharedSafe missed a bit of transparency, specifically when larger files were uploading or downloading.To fix that, we built a new transfer status view which is integrated in the tray window and shows the files, their progress and transfer speed:
Besides a number of smaller changes, it is now possible to backup and restore all folder configurations at once (the exported files, of course, are encrypted):
We hope you like this release and, as always, we are looking forward to your feedback.
Your SharedSafe development team.